Peter Kowald Gesellschaft/ort e.V.

Donald Boudreaux im ort: Der "Spirit" von Raum und Mensch treibe ihn an, wie er sagt. Er bereitet eine Installation vor, die sich ganz dem ort und Peter Kowald verschreibt.

"I don't want to change the space, I respect. I want to bring in some of my own culture."
Mit "my own culture" meint der jetzt in Connecticut lebende Maler immer wieder seine Südstaatenheimat Louisiana, die ihn spirituell und ästhetisch geprägt hat. Regenschirme sind Teil dieser Erfahrung.

"Mein schöpferischer Prozess ist ungeplant, meine Arbeiten sind inspiriert von ungesehenen Klängen, auf gewisse Weise erzähle ich Geschichten: Konstruktionen emotionalen und metaphorischen Ausdrucks", sagt Donald Boudreaux, der afroamerikanische Maler aus Hartford, Connecticut, über seine Kunst.

Donald Boudreaux wurde 1958 als eines von neun Kindern in Lafayette, Louisiana, geboren. Seine Mutter erkannte seine kreativen Talente und förderte seine künstlerische Entwicklung. Er lernte Saxofon und Kalimba und begann schon früh wilde Linien in großer Zahl zu zeichnen. Ein Südstaatenmix aus kreolischer Sprache und Küche, Voodoo, Zydeco (eine schnelle, tanzbare Musikform aus Louisiana, oft mit Akkordeon und Waschbrett vorgetragen) und Jazz waren dabei sein gestaltender kultureller Hintergrund.

Als Wandmaler in Schulen, Museen und im Gemeindekontext setzt Donald Boudreaux seine kreative Gabe als Lehrer und Künstler für die Weiterentwicklung des menschlichen Bewusstseins ein.

Seine Arbeiten wurden ausgestellt in Galerien und Museen, darunter das Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art in Hartford, Connecticut, das New Britain Museum of American Art in New Britain, Connecticut, die Savacou Gallery in Manhattan, New York, das Contemporary Arts Center in New Orleans, Louisiana, die US-Botschaft in Maseru, Lesotho, die Augusta Savage Gallery in Amherst, Massachusetts.

Donald Boudreaux über sich selbst:
Using words to describe my work is like insisting that the jazz improviser not trust the ensemble, that the ensemble not trust the each other, and that the audience not trust itself for the experience. My creative process is unplanned, and my work is inspired by waves of unseen sounds. It is a form of storytelling: constructions of emotional and metaphorical expressions. Using charcoals, pastels, materials, mixed-media assemblages, installations, and paints, the flat color areas, distortions, geometric forms and spatial relationships are all present in my allegorical vistas. I am a visitor of material, and a manipulator of intuition, or anything my hand, not my mind, finds desirable in a continuous, transcendental composition. Ultimately, I work towards the incompletion of my personal evolution.

Born in Lafayette, Louisiana, in 1958, my parents had nine children. As a shy, painfully introverted kid, I observed my mother’s improvisational skills for provisions. She did every thing from the heart: cooking, storytelling, interior decorating, and praying. I developed similar skills for drawing and music. I played the alto saxophone and kalimba in intervals like I drew ferocious lines with various widths, and those disciplines later became my creative orgy. The indigenous fusion of Creole language, cooking, voodoo, zydeco and jazz music impacted my formative years.

In 1981, I received a B.F.A. from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. As a muralist in schools, museums, and community programs, I have used my gifts as a teacher and artist to shape the image of human consciousness. My work has been featured in galleries and museums, including the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, Hartford, Connecticut, "The 33rd Annual Juried Exhibition", The New Britain Museum of American Art, New Britain, Connecticut, "The Visual Expressions on Jazz", Harlem, New York; Savacou Gallery, Manhattan, New York; "Exposition in Black", Contemporary Arts Center, New Orleans, Louisiana; U.S. Embassy, Maseru, Lesotho; and Augusta Savage Gallery, Amherst, Massachusetts. In addition, I completed an Arts International Residency in South Africa in 2004.

Ausbildung
1981 B.F.A., University of Louisiana – Lafayette, 1981
2004 Arts International Residency, South Africa

Einzelausstellungen
2002 Drawings & Paintings, Mather Art Space, Trinity College, Hartford, CT
1999 Amistad Foundation Fundraiser, Martha’s Vineyard, MA
1996 The Dance, Augusta Savage Gallery, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
1993 Moods of Boudreaux, Office of the CT State Treasurer, Hartford, CT
1985 Louisiana Delegation du Quebec, Lafayette, LA
1981 University of Louisiana – LaFayette, Fletcher Hall Gallery, Lafayette, LA

Gruppenausstellungen (Auswahl)
2002 Emerging Artist 2002, Savacou Gallery, New, NY
2002 Visual Expressions of Jazz, H & M Art Gallery of Harlem, NY
2002 33rd Annual Juried Members Exhibition, New Britain Museum of American Art,
New Britain, CT
2000 Craftery Gallery, Hartford, CT
1999 Earth To Festival, Pump House Gallery, Hartford, CT
1995 Roots and Reality, The Discovery Museum, Bridgeport, CT
1995 4+4+4=’95, Charter Oak Cultural Center, Hartford, CT
1990 Sketches, Saltbox Gallery, West Hartford, CT
1990 Charter Oak Gallery, Hartford, CT
1990 Visions of Hartford, The Old State House, Hartford, CT
1990 The Amistad Story: Artist’s Visions, Pump House Gallery, Hartford, CT
1990 Life Lines, Pump House Gallery, Hartford, CT
1984 Exposition in Black, Contemporary Arts Center, New Orleans, LA

Auftragsarbeiten
2002 Indoor murals with students at Naylor School, Hartford, CT
2000 Indoor mural with students at Manchester High School, Manchester, CT
2000 Indoor mural with students at Salvation Army, Hartford, CT
1999 Outdoor mural with apprentices, Greater Hartford Arts Council Neighborhood
Studios, Hartford, CT
1999 Indoor murals with students at South Middle School, Hartford, CT
1998 Outdoor mural with students at the Café’ 880 Jazz Club, Hartford, CT
1997 Outdoor mural with students at Kinsella Elementary School, Hartford, CT
1994 Indoor mural with students at the Institute of Living’s Grace Webb School,
Hartford, CT

Unterrichtstätigkeiten (Auswahl)
2002 Instructor, Art Matters, Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, Hartford, CT
2001 Instructor, Kids Kaleidoscope, Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, Hartford, CT
1999 Instructor, young adult workshop in conjunction with the exhibition Norman Lewis:
Black Paintings, 1946-1977, Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, Hartford, CT
1999 Instructor, Rawson Elementary School, Hartford, CT
1998 Instructor, CRT’s Craftery Summer Art Camp, Hartford, CT
1997 Instructor, CRT’s Craftery Summer Art Camp, Hartford, CT
1995 Instructor, children’s workshop in conjunction with the exhibition Art of John
Biggers: View from the Upper Room, Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art,
Hartford, CT
1995 Artist-in-Residence, Thomas J. Quirk Middle School, Hartford, CT
1995 Artist-in-Residence, Institute of Living’s Grace Webb School, Hartford, CT
1995 Instructor, Mentorship Program, Bloomfield High School, Bloomfield, CT

Auszeichnungen und Preise
2002 2nd Place, 33rd Annual Juried Members Exhibition, New Britain Museum of American
Art, New Britain, CT
1996 Best in Show, 11th Annual National Arts Program, CRT’s Craftery Gallery,
Hartford, CT
1990 Barbara Morely Oil Painting Award, West Hartford Art League Juried Show,
Clubhouse Gallery, West Hartford, T
1989 Honorable Mention, 26th Annual Beth El Temple Juried Show, West Hartford, CT
1979 Ander’s Book Store Award, Union Gallery, Lafayette, LA

nach oben >